TWENDE Project Manager
Conservation International protects nature for the benefit of humanity. Through science, policy, fieldwork, and finance, we spotlight and secure the most important places in nature for the climate, biodiversity, and for people. With offices in 30 countries and projects in more than 100 countries, Conservation International partners with governments, companies, civil society, Indigenous peoples, and local communities to help people and nature thrive together.
POSITION SUMMARY – This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The position’s primary focus & responsibilities are related to the project management and delivery of CI’s responsibilities pertaining to the GCF Funded TWENDE project; across the three landscapes as described in the project document. The position is expected to be based in Nairobi or in one of the field locations.
The position’s primary focus & responsibilities are related to project management and delivery of the GCF-funded TWENDE project: Reporting to the TWENDE Technical lead, the individual is responsible for Project Management functions including:
- Oversee our Service Providers in the field implementation of their TWENDE project activities across 3 landscapes (Chyulu Hills, Mid-Tana, and Sabarwawa landscape). Monitor contracted service provider activities in the field to ensure quality, timely, and efficiency in delivery in line with contractual agreements.
- Play a central role in the design and implementation of activities encompassing enterprise development grants and facilitating technical assistance to community and local enterprises.
- Assist the CI Technical Lead and CI Program Director in engaging all field-based project stakeholders including TWENDE project partners, government institutions, communities, development sector, private sector, etc.
- Take a thought leadership role in working with CI and external stakeholders in designing and implementing landscape-wide program implementation through factoring in complimentary CI and partner projects active across the 3 landscapes, while ensuring the approaches remain closely aligned to those of other TWENDE project stakeholders.
- Play a central role in compiling field-based project reports and communication materials.
- Ensure continuous delivery risk assessment and mitigation measures are put in place.
- Contribute to CI’s overarching strategy in the Northern Kenya landscape, as well as the Kenya country strategy.
- Actively engage and work with relevant colleagues in developing new and complementary program opportunities in the TWENDE project landscapes.
- Collaborate closely with the Southern Kenya manager based in Chyulu Hills.
- Offer support to the technical lead on other cross-cutting thematic functions as may be delegated from time to time.
- Any other project-specific roles may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Flexibility to work outside normal work hours to meet deadlines as needed.
- This is a position eligible for persons who have the right to work in Kenya without CI sponsorship.
- The position is for a fixed term for a period of 2.5 years.
- Guidance on flexible work arrangements will be shared during the interview process.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental management, rural enterprise development, or any other relevant field.
- 4 to 6 years of experience in conservation or rural enterprise development project management.
- Strong experience delivering enterprise development and technical assistance to community groups and local SMEs, including small grant facilities.
- Deep knowledge of the rangelands economy in Kenya and beyond. Experience in overseeing the restoration and climate resilience interventions, in arid and semi-arid context.
- Proven track record in pastoral and agro-pastoral community engagement.
- Strong experience in managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders and pubic donors.
- A self-starter able to work remotely under minimal supervision.
- Ability to start work in the short term.
- Eligible to live and work in Kenya without employer’s sponsorship.
- A post-graduate degree would be an added advantage.
How to Apply
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
Application Deadline: December 23, 2022 (11:49 PM EST)
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities POSITION DESCRIPTION (taleo.net)
Conservation International is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled