Location of activity: Kakuma, Turkana West Sub County,
Duration: 7 Months (From February 2023 to August 2023) with possibility of extension
Direct supervisor: Workshop Officer
PEACE WINDS JAPAN
Peace Winds Japan (PWJ) is a Japanese Non-Governmental Organization established in 1996. PWJ has been providing humanitarian and development assistance for people affected by forced displacement and natural disasters in more than 20 countries in the world.
PWJ launched its mission in Kenya in 2012 and has been implementing projects funded by UN agencies and the government of Japan in shelter, WASH,logistics and youth development to improve living environments of refuge and host populations while promoting peaceful coexistence and self-reliance in the communities in Dadaab, Kakuma and Kalobeyei.
PWJ is a UNHCR partner responsible for WASH,warehouse,motor vehicle service unit,centralized fleet and fuel management for Kakuma Refugee Operations.
Reporting to the Workshop Officer, the Parts Technician will be required to manage the spare part store and suport the smooth flow of spare parts inventory. This will iclude stock management and supervision of spare parts movements and control of stocks; store organization and space utilization and reporting on stock utilisation. The role will corrdinate with other key workshop staff to ensure that the spare parts store is well managed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Store & stock Management
- Workshop Spare Part Store Management.
- Manage the spare part store (Store organization and space utilization).
- Manage the spare part stock (supervision of spare parts movements and control of stocks).
- Responsible for and to organize stock security (Accountable for the spare parts in stock in the stores).
- Responsible for the completion of the workshop documents and other related matters according to SOPs recommendations.
- Ensure and maintain proper inventory system (kardex) and all parts issued/received are reflected immediately on to the stock card on a daily basis.
- Records all shipments of spareparts in-coming and checks with the packing list and provide information of any wrong spares, lost and damaged items.
- Take the responsibility of the stock only on the basis of an effective, documented and signed inventory.
- Be the only person in possession of the store keys (copy are kept, celled in a coffer).
- Be responsible to complete properly the Receipt Slip, Issuing Slip, Stock Cards from all other stock related documents (and to sign them with written delegation of responsibility from the Workshop Officer).
- Keep and file a copy of each document relative to a stock movement or adjustment.
- Be responsible for and ensure discipline and security of the Spare Part Store (Strict limitation of access at the Stores).
- Report immediately, stock movement information to the Workshop Officer.
- Establish strong working coordination with the workshop key staff especially, (Workshop Officer, Workshop Service Advior) to ensure shortage of parts is well managed.
- Liase with the Workshop Service Advisor to ensure spare parts data is keyed daily into the System.
- Transmit systematically and immediately to the ICT Officer the required documents for registration in the database.
- Produce stock analyses, documents, and reports upon request by management.
- Inform immediately management of any fact that can have serious impact on the Spare Part Store activity.
- This job descriptions are not exclusive, it may include other task/job that may be assigned from time as a normal routine duties.
- Organize and optimize the available store space to facilitate the storage and flux of parts in the store. Take appropriate action if space is becoming insufficient.
- Ensure the proper cleaning of the store.
- Take appropriate actions to improve spare part storage in the perspective of an improvement of the stock management (in coordination with the Workshop Officer).
- Organize the security of the stock by taking all appropriate measures. Limit stricly access to the Spare Part Store to authorized staff. No un-authorized persons should be allowed into the stores at anytime for the security of the stores and assets inside the stores.
- Organize the transparent and efficient storage of old parts. Ensure that dispatching of spares to the Workshop is done in a timely manner.
- Prepares all spare parts requisitions, GRNs, way bills, Issue vouchers and Job cards duly filled before the parts are issued or distributed.
- Arrange and keep all parts/tools in a systematic manner so that easy accessibility is maintained and avoid duplicating orders.
- Read and understand standard workshop SOPs, tools and system.
- Ensure that SOPs, management and monitoring tools, and Systems related to spare parts management are functioning.
- Ensure the proper receipt of parts, delivery and transfer of parts.
- Ensure the proper storage of parts and the management of locations.
- Establish spare parts procurement request to recomplete the stock.
- Assist in generating spare parts lists to update parts projection.
- Establish strong collaboration with the Workshop Service Advisor and ICT Officer to insure that PMS stock is reflecting the physical stock (all documents properly registered). and the Purchasing service to anticipate receptions and accelerate purchasing request.
- Ensure smooth daily stock control of moved parts (parts received and issued during the day).
- Ensure a regular statistical control on a relevant % of the stock at least every 2 months.
- Organize 2 times a year a total stock inventory (external control to be organized by the Workshop Manager).
- For each control, proceed systematically with a stock reconciliation (balance between physical / stock card and PMS stock).
- Inform the workshop Officer of any discrepancies, trace causes and request the authorization for a stock adjustment.
- Make sure that stores information will not be revealed to non-PWJ person at any time critical information should not be released to un-authorized persons for confidentiality and require approval from the office.
- Skilled in understanding the steady flow of parts and processes, from workshop requisition to release.
- Updates and shares the stock balances weekly to the Workshop Officer.
- Assist in identifying spare parts needs for replenishment, by accurately identifying. obsolete spares, and updating stock bin cards.
- Performing physical parts verification.
Qualifications & Professional Experience
- Relevant Diploma in mechanical engineering or Grade 1 Technician or stock management.
- Relevant experience in supervising spare parts, and tools store of similar size.
- Advanced computer literacy, data processing (Word, Excel, Access)
- Ability to work with the ERP system.
- English read / written / Spoken.
- At least 3 years’ work experience in a comparable position with references.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Ideally, knowledge of spoken/written language widely used in the country.
- Sensitivity in handling and disposing of documents which may be important.
- Reliable, honest and has good organizational skills.
- Commitment to and understanding of PWJ Vision, Mission and Values.
GENERAL EMPLOYEES OBLIGATIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Employer stipulates the right to assign the Employee any other kind of work derived from his/her specialization. In case of urgent work and such like the Employee may be asked to work overtime as well as during public and other holidays.
- Adhering to all PWJ’s policies and procedures at all times.
- Deliver project objectives within time, resource and budget constraints.
- Correctness and completeness of given tasks.
- The Employee takes over the responsibility for all entrusted material or cash. The Employee is obligated to cover all damages or losses caused by his carelessness.
- Prompt providing of all relevant information to his/her supervisor.
- Maintain confidentiality of all information gained from employment within not publicly available.
- Representing and upholding the values of PWJ at all times.
- Behave in appropriate manners at all times and in all places.
- English: professional fluency.
- Kiswahili: native/advanced.
How to Apply
Additional information of the posting
This position is based in Kakuma, Turkana County, Kenya.
We are looking to recruit national candidates only. Interested and qualified candidates are invited to send a cover letter (1 page) and resume (2 pages) as one pdf document no later than 19 Jan 2022 to: firstname.lastname@example.org In your cover letter please reflect on your motivation for taking this post.
N/B Indicate the position you are applying for in the subject of the email as ‘SPARE PARTS STORES TECHNICIAN – KAKUMA’. Shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more information about Peace Winds Japan, please visit https://peace-winds.org/en/ .