**Reports to:**Program Engineer
**Duty Station:**Kakuma, Kenya
**Contract Period:**11 months (February-December 2023)
Reporting to the program engineer, the shelter assistant shall be responsible for overseeing the construction and repairs/renovations of shelters and other infrastructure at the camp and settlement. He/she shall be the custodian of the construction/repair data and will maintain and update the database on a regular basis. He/she will be responsible for the supervision of shelter monitors and day to day
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in the preparation, data collection and review of shelter needs assessments and mapping in the community in liaison with UNHCR protection and shelter technical units.
- Work with the relevant stakeholders to ensure that the shelter beneficiary selection process prioritizes the needs of the most vulnerable Persons of Concern (PoC)
- Follow up of the design and construction of infrastructure to ensure they are implemented according to plans, completed within designated timelines, budget and ensure that this information is shared with team members.
- Actively work as a member of the Multi-Functional Team and participate in multi-sectoral activities to ensure protection and assistance needs of the population are met.
- In liaison with the refugee leaders, ensure verification/mobilization of identified shelter beneficiaries in each block
- Dissemination of the necessary information for the preparation of the shelter construction to the beneficiaries.
- Verify the quality and quantity of materials supplied to the beneficiaries.
- Give proper procedures for the construction guidelines of the shelters.
- Supervise and monitor the distribution of construction materials to the destined shelters.
- Collection of data including their coordinates for shelters constructed on daily basis.
- Organize filling and documentation of daily, weekly and monthly reports produced on the status of shelters completed.
- Ensure the beneficiaries sign and acknowledge the occupancy for the completed shelter.
- Mobilize and ensure that open holes are backfilled.
- Monitor and ensure that shelter construction materials are used economically and in the right way.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned
General Employees’ Obligations and Responsibilities
- The Employer stipulates the right to assign the Employee any other kind of work derived from his/her specialization. In case of urgent work and such like the Employee may be asked to work overtime as well as during public and other holidays.
- Deliver project objectives within time, resource and budget constraints.
- Correctness and completeness of given tasks.
- The Employee takes over the responsibility for all entrusted material or cash. The Employee is obligated to cover all damages or losses caused by his carelessness.
- Maintain confidentiality of all information gained from employment within, not publicly.
- Representing and upholding the values, policies and procedures of PWJ at all times.
- Your schedule is subject to change at any time according to the organization needs.
- Behave in a professional manner at all the times with the understanding that the public associates your behavior with PWJ.
Qualifications & Professional Experience
- 2 years’ relevant experience with a diploma in civil engineering.
- Experience working in a humanitarian environment preferably refugee set up is an added advantage.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and quick response experiences in humanitarian contexts.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to work effectively with staff at all levels.
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office and Windows products.
- Possession of negotiation and facilitation skills and experience working in forced migration settings.
- Working knowledge and experience of humanitarian principles, SPHERE and UNHCR standards in shelter and camp management.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Ability to communicate well in English and prepare technical reports.
- Ability to work in a team under intense emergency condition while respecting the cultural diversity
- Ability to work for long hours, and has extensive knowledge of Camp terrain and routing patterns.
- Reliable, honest and has good organizational skills.
- Commitment to and understanding of PWJ Vision, Mission and Values.
- English: Professional fluency.
- Kiswahili: Native/Advanced.
How to Apply
Additional information of the posting
We are looking to recruit Kenyan national candidates only. Interested and qualified candidates
are cordially invited to send a cover letter (1 page) indicating salary expectation and resume (3
pages) as one pdf document no later than 29th January 2023 to: email@example.com When applying indicate the title this position on the Subject line as ‘SHELTER ASSISTANT-KAKUMA’. Due to the urgency to fill this position, shortlisting and interviews will be conducted on rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more information about Peace Winds Japan,
please visit https://peace-winds.org/en/