DanChurchAid (DCA) is working in Turkana, West Pokot, Baringo, Elgeyo Marakwet, Nyandarua, Nakuru, Busia and Siaya counties with refugees and local communities to enhance peace, livelihoods and resilience. DCA implements projects directly as well as through local partner organizations. For more information on DCA, please visit www.danchurchaid.org.
DCA is leading a project titled ‘From Loss to Value Creation (L2V)’: Reducing Food Loss through partnerships in Green Cold Storage Solutions in Kenya’. The project aims to reduce food loss through scalable cold storage solutions in close proximity to smallholder farmers in Kenya who face a myriad of challenges in production and marketing of their produce. Currently, the value lost through post-harvest losses is pushed back to the farmers and consumers translating into lower incomes and higher prices respectively. DCA in partnership with commercial partners and other stakeholders in the target areas will work to develop an innovative approach of ensuring smallholder farmers growing vegetables for export and local consumption, have access to affordable cooling/cold infrastructure within an environment that promotes and upholds responsible business conduct. The project period is between July 2023 to December 2027 implemented in Nyandarua and Nakuru Counties.
DCA is seeking to recruit two experienced and energetic Kenyan Nationals for the following position: Project Assistant – Agronomy & Marketing. One position is based in Nakuru County, and one is based in Nyandarua County. The Project Assistants report to the Project Officer based in Nakuru.
The main responsibilities of the Project Assistants are:
Technical Support and Guidance:
- Mobilize and onboard farmers, cooperatives, and trader associations and provide technical assistance during implementation of L2V project.
- Enhance organisational capacity of farmer, farmer organisations and trader associations through training and exposure.
- Conduct training programs on Good Agricultural Practices (GAP), post-harvest management, food safety cold storage best practices, and efficient utilization of the units.
- Facilitate markets linkages & trade between SHFs and identified market.
Partnership and Stakeholder Engagement:
- Assist in establishing linkages between farmers, cooperatives, and financial institutions for potential financing options.
- Facilitate linkages between farmers and off takers/exporters for effective trade in target value chains.
- Foster strong partnership with farmers, county officials, input suppliers and other key stakeholders to facilitate achievement of project objectives at the local level.
Project Implementation and Monitoring:
- Assist in the identification and setup process of cooling units through participatory approaches.
- Provide regular progress reports, data collection, and documentation of field activities.
- Contribute to project monitoring and evaluation, identifying challenges and proposing solutions.
Communication and Representation:
- Represent the project at relevant meetings, workshops, and conferences to promote project objectives.
- Document and share key achievements / impact created by implementation of the project.
- Collaborate with project partners and stakeholders to raise awareness about the project and its benefits.
Qualifications, skills & experience
- 3-4 years of relevant experience in community development, Business development or related fields.
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, agricultural economics, or a related field.
- Proven experience in agricultural extension services, preferably in GAP training, agroecology post-harvest management and cold chain systems.
- Sound knowledge of smallholder farming practices, value chains, and market system development.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to effectively engage with farmers, cooperatives, and stakeholders from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to deliver training programs and facilitate workshops to build capacity and knowledge among project beneficiaries.
- Self-motivated, proactive, and able to work independently in remote field locations with limited supervision.
- Proficiency in computer applications and data management software.
- Fluency in English, Swahili and local languages is a requirement.
- Must be a licensed motorbike rider & be willing to reside in the county of placement.
Apply online through: https://dca.career.emply.com/en/national-positions
The deadline for applications is 20th June 2023.
Any published closing dates are estimated. We aim to fill this vacancy as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate, and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
DCA offers: The position is for a period of 24 months (renewable). DCA offers a competitive salary package (salary, insurance, and benefits) in accordance to experience and DCA Kenya HR Manual.
DCA is an equal opportunity employer, and all interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply regardless of race, gender, marital status and religious, political, or ethnic affiliation. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
DCA conducts a thorough anti-terror check as part of the recruitment process. It is a prerequisite that you can pass this check and maintain this status throughout your employment period.