The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP’s Regional Bureau for East and Central Africa covers one of the most food insecure regions of the world and an area with WFP’s large operational footprint. There is a great need of providing timely and accurate food security and related information to support evidence-based programming in the region, and RAM activities have expanded significantly in recent times, covering both the needs assessment and programme monitoring related activities.
The RAM Unit is a technical information and decision support service for WFP and partners. The unit aims to provide high quality, timely and effective information to support and inform operational decision-making, well designed and better targeted programmes. This includes conducting household assessments, food security monitoring, geo spatial analysis, monitoring of food prices in local markets as well as conducting emergency food security surveys and in-depth studies to understand the nature of food insecurity affecting a population. RAM also assesses the risks to people’s livelihoods as well as tracking emerging food security problems. RAM’s analyses support WFP decision-making in designing and managing emergency and development programmes. This information is crucial for targeting the most food insecure people.
vulnerability analysis, targeting analysis, and data pipelines development and operationalization.
ACCOUNTABILITIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the development and scale-up of the DataBridges for household assessment and monitoring data:
- Be a focal point for support requests from WFP Country Offices
- Map sources of data and analytical processes relevant to DataBridges
- Manage databases part of DataBridges.
- Support the development of household assessment tools
- Support the development of automated analysis pipelines with DataBridges
- Support and coordinate the implementation of streamlined data collection products in the region
- Support the regional focal point for the coordination of data standardization processes in the region
- Any other assigned task.
LEADERSHIP FRAMEWORK BEHAVIOURS
Leads by Example with Integrity
- Upholds WFP values, principles, and standards – Demonstrates and encourages others to uphold the WFP values, principles and standards
- Respects others and values diversity – Values diversity using respectful and inclusive language, and encourages others to do the same
- Stays focused and calm under pressure – Stays focused and calm when under pressure and encourages others to do the same
- Demonstrates humility and a willingness to learn – Shows humility and a willingness to learn and share knowledge, frequently seeking and acting on feedback, and taking up opportunities to develop
Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments
- Delivers results for maximum impact – Holds self and/or others accountable for the delivery of results
- Delegates appropriately – Delivers results against delegated tasks and seeks guidance and support where needed
- Adapts readily to change – Responds readily to change adjusting work as needed
Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative
- Is inclusive and collaborative – Promotes inclusive teamwork and psychological safety by sharing ideas and openly raising issues
- Gives timely and constructive feedback – Supports development for others by giving timely and constructive feedback
- Builds and shares new perspectives – Listens attentively to others to capture, learn, build and share new perspectives
Applies Strategic Thinking
- Communicates and fulfils WFP’s vision – Fulfils WFP’s vision and is able to explain how their objectives support the vision
- Embraces curiosity and new ways of doing things – Demonstrates curiosity, and proposes new ways of doing things when relevant
- Analyses and evaluates data – Gathers data and shares knowledge to inform team decision making
- Considers the impact of decisions – Implements decisions and asks questions to understand the impact for wider objectives
FUNCTIONAL CAPABILITIES & SKILLS REQUIRED
- Proficient and fluent command of written and spoken technical English,
- Advanced understanding of food security analysis and proficient report writing,
- Advanced knowledge and experience in designing and programming digital data collection tools using technologies like XLSForms, ODK Suite, MODA, ONA and or Kobo alike platforms,
- Advanced knowledge and experience with statistical data analysis and modeling using tools like SPSS, R, Python, etc.
- Experience and proficiency in establishing data pipelines systems using query-based software such as SQL
- Proficient knowledge and experience in building dashboards and business reports using business intelligence tools like Tableau, R Shiny, etc.
- Proficient knowledge of presenting complex data into both operational and executive visual summaries
- Good communicator and able to train large groups of people
- Diplomacy and ability to persuade key partners and stakeholders
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
|Education:||Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area. University degree in Social Sciences, Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, Food Security, International Development, or related fields is an added advantage|
|Experience:||At least five years of progressively responsible experience in food security assessment and analysis, humanitarian assessments and/or information management|
|Languages:||Fluency in oral and written in English, a second UN language (especially French) would be advantage.|
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
|TYPE OF CONTRACT:||Fixed Term – G6|
|UNIT/DIVISION:||Research Assessment and Monitoring (RAM)|
|DUTY STATION (City, Country):||Nairobi, Kenya (Regional Bureau)|
|DURATION:||12 months (With possibility of renewal)|
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
30th December 2022