Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German non-governmental organization and has been active in Kenya since 2005 supporting local partners in various fields such as health care, disaster risk reduction, nutrition, food security and livelihoods. In May 2011, Johanniter opened an office in Nairobi in order to enhance its Kenya programme and strengthen the cooperation with its local partners.
Currently, together with our Kenyan partner organizations, Johanniter is implementing several projects throughout the country, including disaster relief and disaster preparedness activities and a livelihoods project in Turkana. Additionally, Kenya is part of a regional project together with South Sudan and Uganda. The project, funded by the German Foreign Office, focuses on South Sudanese refugees and is implemented together with local partner organizations in the sectors of Health, WASH and livelihoods.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Overall job purpose
The Office Assistant is responsible to support different departments in various duties.
Strategy and Vision:
- Actively supports the values of Johanniter International Assistance in Kenya
- Contributes to the implementation of the Johanniter International Assistance strategy in her/his area of responsibility
Office reception duties:
- Welcomes and assists visitors in a friendly manner.
- Ensures the reception area is attended and kept tidy at all times.
- Manages correspondence/parcels at the reception and dispatches correspondence both internally and externally.
Administrative support duties:
Performs the following duties under the direction of the HR& Administration Officer:
- Performs general clerical duties including, but not limited to copying, mailing and filing.
- Carries out messenger/errands as delegated.
- Supports in collecting and receiving parcels from courier services and/or vendors.
- Assists in monitoring office supplies (stationery) and orders for replacement in a timely manner.
- Assists in managing the office phone, receiving and directing calls and taking messages.
- Performs any other administrative tasks as may be assigned by the HR & Admin Officer.
Finance support duties:
Performs the following duties under the direction of the Finance Manager and/or Finance Officer:
- Assists the Finance Officer in preparing payment vouchers
- Supports with coding and scanning of monthly finance vouchers.
- Ensures proper filing of all hard copy finance documents as per the Johanniter filing system.
- Performs any other financial tasks as may be assigned by the Finance Manager and/or the Finance Officer.
Logistics & Procurement:
Performs the following duties under the direction of the Logistics and Procurement Officer/Manager:
- Assists with following up of vendors on pending procurement documents and other matters.
- Assists the logistics officer/manager with completing internal procurement documents, under guidance.
- Assists with asset tagging of all assets.
- Assists with inventory stocktakes as guided.
- Performs any other logistics tasks as may be assigned by the Logistics and Procurement Officer/Manager.
- Supports the programmes department as per the needs and request of the Programme Manager.
- Adheres to all the policies, procedures and values of Johanniter.
- Assists the country office team in translating guidelines and templates as required.
Profession Qualification and experience
- Degree in Business Administration or other relevant Degree
- Certificate in Secretarial/Front Office/ Receptionist duties is an added advantage
- 1 year or less experience in an administration or similar position.
- Recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Team player
- Excellent computer skills and good knowledge of Microsoft Office e.g., Word, Excel etc.
How to Apply
- Johanniter is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. Suitable candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
*We require background checks (incl. criminal record and reference checks) to protect the vulnerable and prevent abuse. *
- Applications for this position (including a cover letter, CV, reference contacts of three former supervisors as well as job certificates/certificates of service from past employers) should be sent to email@example.com until 22nd January 2023.
- Please indicate Office Assistant Kenya in the subject line of your e-mail and in the application mention your earliest date of availability.
- Only complete applications will be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Written tests and interviews are expected to take place between the first and second weeks of February 2023. The candidates will be invited by mail at short notice.