Requisition ID: req36767
Job Title: Nutrition Officers – Garissa
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Hagadera, Kenya
Working under the guidance and supervision of the emergency Nutrition Manager, the Nutrition Officer will be directly responsible for the day to day implementation of the emergency nutrition programming which includes; Integrated outreach models i.e. IMAM done by running of selective feeding program, blanket supplementary feeding programs, nutrition surveillance & assessments including. Mass MUAC screenings promotion of mother infant and young child nutrition (MIYCN) through the community health volunteers. He/she will be responsible for managing emergency nutrition responses, working with MOH at IRC supported facilities.
- Implement the emergency nutrition response including treatment of severely malnourished under-fives while following the stipulated protocol.
- Implement and supervise the supplementary feeding of the moderately malnourished under-fives, pregnant/lactating mothers, individuals with medical conditions (HIV/AIDS and TB).
- Ensure the Blanket Supplementary Feeding Program (BSFP) activities are implemented successfully.
- Implement comprehensive maternal infant and young child nutrition program (MIYCN) Baby Friendly Community initiative (BFCI) approaches.
- Train and mentor, the emergency response program staff and the integrated community health promoters through identification of capacity gaps and carrying out refresher trainings and on the job trainings.
- Plan and conduct trainings on Growth Monitoring Promotion (GMP), IMAM and MIYCN to other mainstream health professionals.
- Develop key messages in nutrition to the targeted beneficiaries, and ensure it is delivered appropriately.
- Offer nutrition support through counseling to individuals with medical conditions including Comprehensive Care Clinic clients.
- Plan and conduct mass MUAC screening of the under-fives on a quarterly basis in collaboration with the Community Health volunteers
- Compile and submit donor and IRC Nutrition Program weekly, biweekly and monthly reports of all the activities implemented, as well prepare food requisitions.
- Lease with Supply Chain Department in logistical Program Supplies procurement and Monitoring Supply control
- Stock monitoring of various commodities
- Support MOH on DQAs
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food, Nutrition and Dietetics from a recognized University.
Required Experience & Competencies
- Minimum 3 years’ work experience in emergency community nutrition and implementation
- Experience in maternal infant and young nutrition with strong BFHI & BFCI approaches
- Experience in nutrition survey and assessments
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong report writing and team working skills
- Knowledge in computer packages and basic analysis skills
- Ability to work in hardship areas (previous experience in a camp setting will be an added advantage)
- Flexible and positive personality
- Strong planning and implementation capacity
- Confident and capable negotiator, communicator and networker