UNHCR Kenya is hiring for the following positions
How to apply for UNHCR Jobs in Kenya
- Candidates applying for jobs at UNHCR should register and complete an online profile in the UNHCR recruitment platform.
- The system will save your profile, making it easier to apply for other positions with UNHCR in the future.
- Once registered, you can then select specific open positions (job requisitions) or Talent Pool profiles (evergreen requisitions).
- To apply for a role, click on the title of the post and then click Apply at the top of the job posting.
- Please note that applications must be submitted in English.
- Only fully completed applications are accepted.
- When creating your application, please regularly save the draft.
- For advertised posts, applications must be received before the closing date as stated on the job posting. Applications received after the application deadline will not be considered.
- We encourage you to read the job description carefully before you start the process. Highlight your skills, motivation and experience and tailor your letter of interest accordingly.
- It is not necessary at this stage to send copies of qualifications such as previous employment contracts or academic qualifications.
- Candidates will receive a system-generated notification after submitting an application.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by the recruitment team.
- Should you require technical support, kindly reach out to our Global Service Desk at email@example.com.
Important points to note
- Candidates who have immediate relatives – father, mother, son, daughter, brother or sister – working as staff members of UNHCR are not eligible to apply.
- UNHCR places importance on multilingualism. Candidates applying to International Professional positions are required to be fully proficient in English. A working knowledge of a second UN language (Arabic/Chinese/French/Russian/Spanish) or additional language(s) at B2 level may be essential or desirable based on operational needs.
- Please note that staff members will not normally serve in International Professional positions in the country of their nationality. In addition, in case of a first appointment upon recruitment, the assignment must be outside the staff member’s country of nationality. In case of a conversion from National Officer (NO) or General Service (GS) categories, the assignment cannot take place in the same country where the staff member is currently serving as NO or GS (irrespective of nationality).
Download the Personal History Form (PHF) for applications that require direct email application:
Applicants will undergo a screening process to determine whether they are suitable for the post they applied for. Education history, relevant work experience and qualifications will be considered to ensure we select the right person for the right job. Due consideration will be given to language needs, diversity and gender.
Assessments and Competency-Based Interviews
Candidates who pass the basic eligibility screening will be requested to complete various assessments (language and functional assessments, as appropriate) and finally, candidates are sent for grading. Candidates who pass these assessments will be contacted by a recruiter according to the needs of UNHCR to fill positions.
UNHCR works with the best talent. To ensure we hire the right person for the right job, competency-based interviews will be conducted. Such interviews are based on the concept that past behaviour and experience is the best indicator of future performance. In other words, your history tells a story about you: your talents, skills, abilities, knowledge and actual experience in handling a variety of situations.
Apart from ensuring previous education and work experiences have been verified, we also make sure the person we hire is a team-player and can fit into the organization’s culture, able to thrive and work in a multi-cultural organization with a passion to serve people of concern. Successful candidates will receive an official offer from UNHCR. As part of this process, our dedicated recruiters will respond to candidates’ enquiries to support a smooth transition to their new position. Recruitment as a UNHCR staff member and engagement under UNHCR affiliate scheme or as an intern is subject to various clearances including proof of COVID vaccination.