Reporting to: Regional HR Manager with dotted line to Team Leader
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Application closing: 23 December 2022
Interpeace is an international organization for peacebuilding that supports locally led peacebuilding initiatives around the world. Interpeace tailors its approach to each society and ensures that the work is locally driven. Together with local partners and local teams, Interpeace jointly develops peacebuilding programmes and helps establish processes of change that connect local communities, civil society, government and the international community.
For more information about Interpeace, please visit www.interpeace.org
Position within the Organization
The HR Officer is a member of the Global Operations Unit which encompasses Finance, IT, Administration, Legal, Internal Audit and HR. The Global Operations Unit is led from the Headquarters office in Geneva, although team members are based in different locations around the world including in Bosnia, Côte d’Ivoire, Guatemala, Kenya, Switzerland, Tunisia, Rwanda, etc.
Under supervision from the Regional HR Manager, East Africa & Great Lakes, the HR Officer maintains an efficient and effective human resources function at the designated region. S/he works closely with finance and programme teams to create a more efficient and effective human resources function for an agile, responsive, and high performance Interpeace.
RESET is a UK Conflict, Stability and Security Fund (CSSF) funded programme which aims to foster individual, community and institutional resilience to counter violent extremism in the Kenya – Somalia border area. It will have programme activities in the four border counties of Lamu, Garissa, Wajir and Mandera in Kenya as well as in the Gedo and Lower Juba regions in Somalia. Primarily, the RESET programme is expected to deliver on the following outputs:
- Strengthen understanding of conflict, structures and actors to shape effective policy and programming.
- Strengthen formal and informal mechanisms aiming to build resilience along the Kenya – Somalia border.
- Address grievances and mitigate against drivers of instability and extremism.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Recruitment and selection:
- Ensure the implementation of the institutional recruitment frameworks, methodologies, workflows and policies that attract and secure high-performance talent.
- Coordinates the recruitment of vacant positions and participates in interviewing proces
- Develop strong cooperation with hiring managers to understand their strategic staffing needs and fill vacancies in a timely manner with high calibre candidate
- Contracting and HR Administration
- Drafts staff contracts in consultations with hiring managers and Regional HR Manager East Africa & Great Lakes.
- Maintains complete personnel files for employees and manages employee records.
- Coordinates and maintains an updated leave plan for project staff.
- Maintains the HR online platform (Natural HR up to date).
- Support in the procurement of staff insurance as needed while adhering to the organization’s policies and procedures and is responsible for administering these appropriately
- Ensures that accurate payroll is prepared, and statutory payroll deductions are remitted to the relevant local authorities/departments.
- Collaborate and cooperate with the Finance team providing accurate and timely information for payroll and ensure tax compliance with government authorities.
- Management of employee work cycle:
- Serves as focal point for all personnel related issues for employees.
- Coordinates successful employee onboarding and set up for the programme, ensuring the timely provision of services to create the best possible experience for new starters
- Together with Regional HR Manager, East Africa & Great Lakes, manage specific issues of conflict or grievances related to HR organizational policy and procedure
- Coordinate with Regional HR Manager, East Africa & Great Lakes and other internal stakeholders and managers, employee separations including disciplinary processes, terminations and exit interviews. Ensures that all required paperwork is completed including relevant letters, PAF forms, End of Service form, carry out Exit Reflection Interviews, Employee certificates, insurance notifications, and notification to relevant authorities
- Oversees duty of care, employee wellbeing and the implementation of safety and security poli
- Performance management and staff development
- Support with the coordination of the performance management processes including performance planning, preparing performance documentation, coordinating meetings and providing guidance and support as need
- Monitors the completion of the performance management framework and reports on progress to Regional HR Manager, East Africa & Great Lakes.
- Supports the Global Learning and Development officer with collecting staff development needs and supports the implementation of staff development initiatives and policy that optimize performance, strengthen transformational leadership, change management and innovation, as well as continuous improvement of capab
- 5. Compensation and Grading
- Implements the institutional frameworks and policies that are fair, consistent, and coherent salary levels and job gradin
- Job description
- Provide input and ensure all Job descriptions are up to date and accurate.
- Continuously monitors and stays up to date with the latest legislative and employment regulations in Kenya, informing Regional HR Manager East Africa & Great Lakes on any misalignment with legislative compliance and ensuring that HR practices and policies are aligned with local regulations
- Collects HR information from the region and provides recommendations to Regional HR Manager, East Africa & Great Lakes to address shortfalls and maintain what’s working well
- Recommends to Regional HR Manager, East Africa & Great Lakes on any HR process enhancements, improvements in policies and procedures and any other innovation changes that would optimize HR management at Interp
- Ensures that Interpeace’s values are integrated into the organization’s way of working, are embraced and communicated to
- Complies with and champions all workplace health and safety policy and procedures while taking reasonable care at work to ensure safety. Any hazards observed should be reported to the line manager.
- First level University degree in Human Resources, psychology or organizational psychology or equivalent experience in a human resources rol
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a human resources ro
- Minimum 3 years of experience providing advice and support across all levels of an organization
- Experience in fully spectrum of employment cycle recruiting and facilitating the onboarding of staff
- Experience in development and implementation of HR strategy and Human Resources administration
- Experience formulating HR procedures and ensuring staff understanding and engagement
- Understanding of the Labor regulations that guide employer/employee relationsh
- Good understanding of and ability to apply human resource management theories and principles
- Basic understanding of the latest developments and trends in H
- Excellent communication and stakeholder engagement
- Ability to work autonomously with high attention to detail across all areas of human resources in a high-volume and fast-paced environment
- Personable and professional approach, able to deal with confidentiality and be technologically savv
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English and Swahili languages would be an asset.
- Collaboration and Weaving
- Drive for results
- Adaptability and Continuous Learning
- Respect for Diversity
- Professional in Human Resources certification and/or other HR certificate
- Active member of Institute of Human Resources Management (Kenya)
- Experience with non-profit or international organization
- Has a broad HR background, deep understanding and experiences in all areas of HR function.
- Identifies with and is committed to Interpeace’s core values and working principles
- Commitment to inclusiveness
- An innovative, critical thinker with extensive problem-solving skills
- A strategic manager who is accountable, leads by example, mentors and empowers a team and works to create work-life balance.
Interpeace values diversity among its staff and aims to achieve gender equality both through gender parity at all levels of the organisation and the promotion of a gender dimension in all its work. We welcome applications from women and men, and those with disabilities.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their application as early as possible, and no later than 23 December 2022, 23:59 pm, Nairobi time via the following link: HR Officer (naturalhr.net)
Please note that only candidates who are nationals or holding a valid residence permit in the duty station will be considered for this position.