Finance Assistant – AP Shared Services Re-Advertisement
Save the Children has been operational in Kenya since the 1950s, providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, health, HIV/AIDS, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH. In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined the programmes of SC UK, SC Canada and SC Finland to create a single operation in Kenya. In Feb 2014, we completed a second transition, which saw us join forces with the British INGO, Merlin, and merge their health and nutrition programmes with our own. Save the Children now has an operational presence in Bungoma, Dadaab Refugee Camp, Garissa, Mandera, Turkana and Wajir and we work through partners in many other parts of the country
You will be part of the ESARO/Kenya Accounts Payable (AP) Shared Services Team specifically working for the AP team, and you will support the effective management of supplier payments and financial accounting roles. This position will work closely with AP Finance Officer and the larger Kenya Finance Team
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Finance Officer AP
Staff reporting to this post: None
Location – Kenya Country Office – Nairobi
Contract Duration- 1 year
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Prepares monthly Cash Forecasts, liaising with all departments on their cash needs within the set deadlines.
- Process all bank payments vouchers including statutory deductions and ensure these are paid before deadlines
- Perform balance sheet reconciliation for assigned accounts.
- Supporting in archiving of payment vouchers and retrieving support documents for Audits
- Support in management of office petty cash and petty cash reconciliation
- Maintain updated programme advance tracker & Process petty cash vouchers and data entry.
- Performs recharges as directed by finance officer
- Prepares General Ledger and Cash Offline Spreadsheet for posting in the financial system.
- Assists in Preparing and posting adjustments and reallocation Journals.
- Records data on the General Ledger and Cash Offline Spreadsheets (GLACOS) for AP Finance transactions
- Ensures accurate budget code are entered in the GLACOS and validation is complete
- Posts data to Agresso after necessary reviews and approvals
- Any other duties/roles assigned by line manager.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree in Business, Accounting Finance or a related field
- Two-years work experience working in a finance office in an NGO or commercial sector
- Proven ability to prioritise in order to meet deadlines.
- Financial accounting and AP experience
- Interpersonal skills and ability to interact with all departments
- Ability to conduct coaching and training
- Competent in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and accounting systems
- Good communication skills
- Commitment to Save the Children values.
- Commitment to SCI Values
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified talent.
Female Candidates are encouraged to apply.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process, nor request for medical examination or records and does not act through recruitment agents whatsoever.