WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide and the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes.
Why join WFP in Somaliland?
In Somaliland and Somalia, the World Food Programme provides food assistance for nutrition, livelihoods, and relief through the hard work of more than 550 employees who contribute towards making Somaliland and Somalia hunger free in close partnership with local partners.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates. Female candidates, in particular, are encouraged to apply.
1. Provide transportation to senior WFP staff, high-ranking UN officials, and visitors including translation of basic conversations from/to the local language, and the delivery and collection of various items following authorized routing and UN safety and security rules and regulations to ensure safe and efficient services.
2. Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport or other entry points and provide basic assistance with visa and customs formalities, to facilitate smooth and safe entry and arrival to the authorized destinations.
3. Responsible for accurate maintenance of the vehicle log books, and daily reporting to the supervisor on mechanical status to ensure efficient vehicle use and fuel consumption supporting accurate accounting and cost-efficiency.
4. Efficiently plan and coordinate WFP vehicle maintenance to ensure vehicles are fully equipped with required travel authorizations and supplies, and assigned equipment on board is in a good condition to support safe and efficient services.
5. Follow established rules and regulations for field deliveries and/or in cases of an accident, and report immediately to the supervisor on any apparent problems, to seek for instructions and facilitate informative decisions on the way forward.
6. Outside driving duties, perform basic office-related tasks such as filing, photocopying, and maintaining stores and other administrative support when required.
7. Assist the flight dispatch team with the airport processes and activities both at the terminal and at the airside, noting the aviation safety and security requirements.
8. Arrange for delivery and receiving of light airfreight for dispatch ensuring packaging is per the IATA requirements for handling Dangerous Goods.
9. Update the electronic tracking system for light airfreight received and maintain the same on the eFMA for collection by the addressee
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Completion of Secondary School education.
- Formal driving training with valid driver’s license/certification to operate assigned vehicle following local rules and regulations.
- Three or more years of work experience as a driver, preferably in an international organization, embassy, or UN system with a demonstrated safe driving record.
- Experience in driving a variety of makes and models of vehicles, including vans, 4WD, trucks, and other kinds of motorized vehicles.
- Experience in defensive driving and driving on the airside of the airport is desirable.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Knowledge of Aviation Fundamentals and basic driving skills/rules on the airside of the airport.
• Good understanding of transport services and ability to coordinate routes and schedules for other Drivers.
• Knowledge of driving operating rules and regulations.
• Knowledge of safety standards and safety equipment (e.g. fire extinguishers, buoyant wearable safety devices, etc.)
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to assess vehicles for mechanical fitness and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
• Knowledge of the vehicle loading capacity and other parameters.
• Knowledge and ability to use radio, email, telephone and other applications.
• Basic skills to assist in case of emergency, knowledge of first aid basic methods.
• Ability to demonstrate a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy and tact.
Language: Proficiency in both oral and written communication in English a requirement.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications through E-Recruitment.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline: 6th March 2023
WFP does not charge any application fees to candidates
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.