Action Against Hunger USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, with presence in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger USA, an independent NGO, currently has operations in Ethiopia, Haiti, Kenya, Uganda, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania and Zambia; with over $70 million in programs, and approximately 1,500 permanent staff based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth anticipated.
As a member of Action Against Hunger Horn and Eastern Africa Regional Team and within the Knowledge and Innovation Hub, the Deputy Hub Director, Research and Learning will drive the research and learning agenda within Action Against Hunger USA, connecting technical knowledge from programming in the field with academic research. As the focal point for Action Against Hunger-USA research initiatives within the international network; this function will diversify and deepen engagement with research partners; and encouraging and documenting learning and research-related learning within Action Against Hunger-USA.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Technical and operational oversight to on-going research to ensure coherence, coordination and effective management.
- Provides technical support to the development of new research projects and proposals, expanding quantity and diversity of research driven by Action Against Hunger-USA.
- Leads and/or supports the identification, prioritization and elaboration of research needs and interests at various levels of the organization.
- Supports coordination and engagement on research efforts with the Action Against Hunger International network.
- Ensures Action Against Hunger -USA staff have opportunities to provide feedback and inputs into research initiatives such as strategies, policies, guidelines
- As focal for research efforts with Action Against Hunger USA, participates in and supports the work of the Action Against Hunger International Scientific Committee.
- Develops strategic and innovative research partnerships with a variety of stakeholders, with a focus on expanding engagement to new and strategic academic partnerships.
- Leads knowledge management activities: documentation of best practices and lessons learned; systematization of signature approaches; collection of case studies; provide guidance in building Action Against Hunger USA’s library.
- Master’s degree in relevant field (Public Health, Nutrition, Economics, Sociology or other related field); PhD encouraged. With/or
- At least 10 years of experience in managing research and research projects (as a Principal Investigator) facilitating collaborative and productive partnerships between operational and research partners.
- At least 7 years’ experience working in humanitarian and development contexts desirable (experience in nutrition-specific and nutrition sensitive sectors preferred).
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ESSENTIAL
- Experience in proposal development and grant acquisition
- Experience in working with partners (especially academic partners) and consortium members; as well as various levels and layers within an organization
- Experience writing scientific reports & articles for peer reviewed & non-peer reviewed publications
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Knowledge of methods of program evaluation and/or implementation research;
- Experience with donor contracts, management, tight reporting and budgetary restrictions.
- High proficiency working with MS Office Suite; comfortable working with computers and a broad range of software with minimal IT support.
- Experience being proactive and taking initiative to move complex projects forward
- Must be comfortable working from remote locations, managing and prioritizing own workload autonomously & reliably.
- Fluent written and spoken English, knowledge of French and/or as asset
- Experience communicating in different cultural work environments & with a wide diversity of culture
- Highly organized, detail oriented and able to work under pressure; especially in changing work contexts; Strong communication (verbal and written) & coordination skills a necessity. Diplomatic skills are a plus.
Action Against Hunger-USA provides all staff with an attractive salary & benefits package. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Action Against Hunger-USA complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
How to Apply
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the link below. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.