AECF is seeking to recruit a dynamic, proactive, passionate and results-oriented Communications Manager, who will have overall responsibility for positioning AECF as an impactful and leading organization in the surfacing of and investing in early and growth stage businesses. The incumbent will be responsible for leading the development and implementation of AECF’s communication strategy and strengthening internal and external communications platforms in support of AECF’s overall strategy and goal of
unlocking the power of the private sector to positively impact lives of rural and marginalised in Africa.
The incumbent will serve on AECF’s management committee and work closely with AECF’s CEO and senior leadership on
AECF’s brand and market positioning. The role holder will manage a team of two (2) full-time staff; a Communications
Officer and Communications Assistant.
- Leading the Communication function with a focus on enhancing dissemination of AECF’s value adding outputs, raising the visibility of its impact and driving the organization’s branding initiatives.
- Guiding the development of AECF’s communications plan in accordance with AECF’s overall organizational strategy.
- Working with AECF’s Impact Evaluation and Learning Unit to oversee development and tracking of metrics and success criteria for communications programs with the key objective being amplification of AECF’s program work.
- Providing support to the Impact Evaluation and Learning Unit in packaging and presentation of reports and success stories.
- Overseeing development of all AECF communications materials, including press releases, talking points,
reports, speeches, web materials, and videos. Ensuring all communications materials are in concert with AECF’s messages, strategy and policy positions.
- Leading the communications team to effectively implement the Unit’s strategies and activities by; establishing unit priorities, monitoring the unit budget and managing external consultants.
- Spearheading activities that build the AECF brand by
ensuring consistent use of messages across the organization and anticipating possible controversies with a proactive approach to issues management.
- Providing strategic communications and advisory support to the AECF Board and management team.
- Managing media relations with the global, regional and national news media to convey and support AECF views on issues of significance. Supporting the CEO and senior staff in the planning of media briefs, interviews, offsite visits and special events.
- Ensuring AECF events meet global standards, are well documented and receive broad coverage in target media.
- Overseeing the design and maintenance of the AECF website, including content and aesthetics reflective of
- Developing and reviewing of AECF’s internal communication protocols, program communications and staff media protocols to ensure transparency and a strong aligned institution.
- Maintaining relationships with journalists and creating partnerships with top media associations, media outlets and bloggers at national and regional level.
- Overseeing production of AECF’s corporate publications and marketing tools including the corporate brochure, annual report, AECF Newsletter etc.
- Overseeing AECF’s social media platforms and taking overall responsibility for content sharing.
- Advising on requirements for market research and overseeing implementation of commissioned surveys.
- Acting as the spokesperson for the organization, as needed.
Suitable candidates should:
- Hold a Master’s degree in Communications, Business, International Relations, information management, media and, Journalism, Development Studies, or related field.
- Possess knowledge and experience in training and report preparation.
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in reporting and communication.
- Possess at least three (3) years’ senior-level management experience in advocacy or public relations with exposure to development sector.
- Have experience in fitting social media into strategic communication planning.
- Have experience creating web content.
- Possess exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Possess significant experience in development-related activities in Africa.
- Working knowledge of French will be an advantage.
- Possess good interpersonal, analytical and communications skills.
How to Apply
AECF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered based on merit without regard to race, sex, colour, national origin, religion, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
AECF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training, or any other fees).
If you believe, you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role register and apply on:
To be considered, your application must be received by: 19th December 2022
For more information, please visit our careers page on www.aecfafrica.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.