WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Administration Unit in the Regional Bureau for East and Central Africa (RBN) supports the delivery of quality, customer- focused, value for money administrative services that enable staff in country/location operations to deliver food assistance to beneficiaries, in line with WFP strategy.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
• Provide information to Travelers in RBN and Country Offices (COs) within the region, on all matters related to official WFP travel.
• Provide information on the most direct and economical route and plan routings and itineraries plus the most economical airfare rates for such travel, in accordance with relevant provisions of the WFP Travel Manual and in consultation with the Travel Management Company.
• Provide information on DSA rates and MSLS for travel schedules and specific itineraries.
• Calculate transportation costs, excess baggage entitlements, terminal expenses, and DSA for Duty Travel.
• Provide information to Travellers on medical and security requirements for travel itineraries and support the Traveller in following up with the appropriate medical office and UNDSS.
• Contact the Travel Management Company, as appropriate, to make reservations and request issuance of tickets.
• Presents waiver requests for approval by the WFP official holding delegated authority.
• Liaises with the Travel Management Company and Protocol Focal Point on visa requirements, as required.
• Create, modify, and complete Trip Documents on WeTravel for approval.
• Conduct trainings to Travel Focal Points in the Country Offices as part of capacity building when need be.
• Reviews travel claims and supporting documentation for completeness, accuracy, reasonableness, validity, and conformity with the WFP Travel Manual, and refer any irregularities to management.
• Run Monthly travel reports for RBN and COs and ensure that all travel open items are closed in a timely manner.
• Support in the review of travel reports in preparation for Admin CO oversight missions.
• Alternate focal point for Protocol
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable.
- Experience: Five or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream with experience in general administrative work.
- Language: Fluency (level C) in English language (both oral and written).
LEADERSHIP FRAMEWORK BEHAVIOURS
Leads by Example with Integrity
• Upholds WFP values, principles, and standards – Demonstrates and encourages others to uphold the WFP values, principles and standards
• Respects others and values diversity – Values diversity using respectful and inclusive language, and encourages others to do the same
• Stays focused and calm under pressure – Stays focused and calm when under pressure and encourages others to do the same
• Demonstrates humility and a willingness to learn – Shows humility and a willingness to learn and share knowledge, frequently seeking and acting on feedback, and taking up opportunities to develop
Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments
• Delivers results for maximum impact – Holds self and/or others accountable for the delivery of results
• Delegates appropriately – Delivers results against delegated tasks and seeks guidance and support where needed
• Adapts readily to change – Responds readily to change adjusting work as needed
Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative
• Is inclusive and collaborative – Promotes inclusive teamwork and psychological safety by sharing ideas and openly raising issues
• Gives timely and constructive feedback – Supports development for others by giving timely and constructive feedback
• Builds and shares new perspectives – Listens attentively to others to capture, learn, build and share new perspectives
Applies Strategic Thinking
• Communicates and fulfils WFP’s vision – Fulfils WFP’s vision and is able to explain how their objectives support the vision
• Embraces curiosity and new ways of doing things – Demonstrates curiosity, and proposes new ways of doing things when relevant
• Analyses and evaluates data – Gathers data and shares knowledge to inform team decision making
• Considers the impact of decisions – Implements decisions and asks questions to understand the impact for wider objectives
Builds and Maintains Sustainable Partnerships
• Builds partnerships
• Acts professionally with external partners
• Collaborates to deliver common objectives
• Works together with partners to deliver common goals
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Knowledge of specialised common business practices and methods, gained through relevant technical training and experience.
• Ability to develop and maintain relationships with a range of individuals in order to provide a high quality support service.
• Ability to carry out basic data analysis and independently rectify problems requiring attention.
• Ability to monitor and record financial transactions.
• Good communication skills required to give and receive information and work with a variety of individuals.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
- The deadline for receiving applications for this position is January 27, 2023
- Applications for this position will close at 11:59 p.m. (East African Time) on the deadline date.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.