A LITTLE ABOUT US
Since 2015, Boma International Hospitality College (BIHC) has passionately trained and influenced young and aspiring hoteliers to shape one of the oldest industries since time.
We believe in offering life-long learning that is innovative, with hands-on-the-practical skills that can be utilized to offer solutions to our world’s most dynamic and ever-changing industry. This mantra has sailed us through to be a TVET Centre of Excellence for Hospitality Training and marks just the beginning of an incredible journey ahead.
We’re also rooted in our Purpose and guided by our Values, which include Professionalism, Passion, Growth and Timeliness. We recognize that the only way we can to achieve this Purpose is to work with and engage a diverse workforce that reflects the communities and industry we serve. By creating an inclusive work environment where all feel like they belong and are respected for their unique contributions to our mission, this purpose can easily shape into a reality.
In addition to the requirements below, we recognize that people come with diverse talents and experiences beyond the scope indicated and such we still encourage you to apply.
YOUR POSITION WITH BIHC: BAKER
HOW YOU WILL FIT INTO OUR MISSION: We pride in being a small community that ensures that every participant is known at an individual level in order to understand their specific needs and constantly assess that these needs are met. We believe in high standards of professionalism which come with discipline and upholding ethical standards. This is evidenced by the emphasis put on instituting a professional dress code among staff and learners, an aspect that is embraced by the management of the college. We have an open culture that encourages communication within the different hierarchical levels.
WHAT YOU WILL DO (Your responsibilities will include):
As the Baker, you will be responsible for preparation and production of different types of bread, buns and a wide range of pastries, like cookies, cakes and pies. You will also monitor and adhere to procedures and standards that will support in achieving consistent and high quality products in the most efficient manner. Ultimately, as the baker, you will ensure we offer fresh and delicious products to our clients.
YOUR KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure the bakery operates at the prescribed time
- Ensure proper hygiene of kitchen equipment and tools before use
- Ensure appropriate weighing of flour and other ingredients to prepare dough
- Bake different bread types, like pretzels, baguettes and multigrain breads
- Mix various ingredients to create fillings for cakes and pies (e.g. chocolate ganache, caramel sauce and fruits)
- Decorate cakes with glazes, icings, buttercream and edible toppings, like flowers & other creative techniques
- Shape dough to prepare different types of pastries, including croissants, cookies and sweet rolls
- Prepare custom-made pastries based on customers’ preferences (e.g. birthday or Graduation cakes)
- Recommend recipes to renew our menu and attract more customers (e.g. gluten-free or vegan desserts)
- Track pastry supplies and place orders, as needed
- Train Culinary and Pastry students on practical skills within the bakery
12. Any other duties assigned by management
THE SKILLS AND COMPETENCES WE ARE LOOKING FOR: EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A deep understanding of commitment to and involvement in hospitality Industry
- Diploma in Pastry and baking or equivalent qualification
- 2-3 years’ Experience as a Baker, Pastry Chef or similar role
- Certification from a culinary school is a plus
- Familiarity with all professional kitchen equipment, including mixers, blenders and dough sheeters
- Experience with pastry and cake decoration techniques
- Understanding of food safety practices
- Commitment to continuous professional development
- Excellent judgment with the ability to balance risks and opportunities
- Excellent customer service skills.
- An absolute commitment to upholding the College Values. In particular, commitment:
- to prioritize the needs of clients
- to act with integrity, authenticity & respect at all times
- to secure continuous improvement and excellence
- to focus on coaching and developing others to reach their full potential
HOW YOU CAN JOIN US:
Apply strictly through https://www.redcross.or.ke/Careers so as to reach us not later than Sunday 18th December 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.