WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
To perform a range of coordination and administrative activities that contribute to the safe and effective air service to the humanitarian community.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Perform operational coordination and administration of air operations, ensuring compliance with WFP standards, including risk management processes, to support safe and effective air operations.
2. Liaise with airport officials and other local authorities in order to obtain necessary clearances, documentation and authorisations required for air operations.
3. Carry out pre-flight actions to ensure that all registered passengers and cargo are duly carried on the flight, in coordination with crew to ensure safe flights, escalating issues to a supervisor.
4. Collate all post-flight documentation in order to confirm flights have taken place and in compliance with established conditions.
5. Research, collate and report on aviation related information, to enable decision-making and facilitate air transportation planning, execution and reporting in order to ensure contractual performance.
6. Update and maintain relevant databases and records, ensuring that relevant information is accurate, organised, accessible to others, and supports reporting requirements.
7. Respond to client queries, following standard processes and obtaining guidance or escalating as required, to ensure timely resolution of all enquiries with a high standard of client service.
8. Liaise with internal counterparts in order to carry out duties successfully, support the alignment of aviation activities with wider programmes, to facilitate a coherent approach to air operations.
9. Provide support to other staff, assisting them in completing tasks to agreed standards and deadlines.
10. Support process reviews, and improvements in methods and practices, in order to maximise the performance of air activities and related operations.
11. Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to support WFP to quickly respond in its core areas at the onset of a crisis.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in air traffic control, flight dispatch, aeronautical engineering, or related fields essential for Air Operations.
- At least five years of progressive work experience in dispatching flights from uncontrolled airfields.
- Experience in managing the customer service cell of General Aviation similar to that of UNHAS is an added advantage.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Experience in restricted flying zones, and other aviation risks and assisting in flight planning.
- Experience in handling passenger manifests and aircraft loading.
- Experience in interpreting routine weather reports.
- Ability to perform detailed work, frequently of confidential nature and /or to handle large volume of work systematically effectively and accurately.
- Ability to work in a team environment and coordinate assignments to achieve common goals.
Fluency in both oral and written English is a requirement.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1 Year (initial)